Saturday, August 18, 2012

"Are you crazy? Or just plain stupid?"

I took a one-year-old camping.
Enough said, right?

We enjoyed hot dogs, s'mores, playing games, a scavenger hunt, and just plain playing with friends. Outside. I really loved singing together around the campfire before bed. Noah fell quietly to sleep in the pack n' play and I'm thinking, "awesome...this is awesome, what was everyone thinking that this would be hard? Pish posh, this is a breeze." Mental pat on the back.

Then at about 1:30 am, Noah stirred. I grabbed him and put him in my sleeping bag to make sure to wake up as few people as possible.  He flopped around a bit and then started screaming. At the very tippy-top of his lungs.  If you have ever heard Noah scream it's a very immediate, angry, and growly scream.  You would have thought an ax murderer had appeared from the woods.  In my delirium I tried to give him the last few drops of a bottle (all the rest of the milk was in a cooler in the car) he was quiet much to everyone's relief for about 3 seconds, and then screamed some more, much to everyone's dismay.  I was trying to stay calm not to amp him up more, trying to wrap him up, rock him, bounce him, hum to him, anything to make the screaming stop.  Finally I take him out to the car to get milk, thinking he can just scream it out in there.  Which he did. In my arms. For an hour.  He finally fell asleep in the most uncomfortable (for me) position imaginable.  Imagine sleeping in the driver's seat, on your side, on a partially reclined seat (can't put it down all the way because the car seat is behind us), curled around a sleeping one year old.  I text Tony that I need a pillow and blankets.  He brought me, bless his heart, Noah's little baby blankets and thankfully my pillow.  I was fa-reezing.  I kept trying to quietly reposition us trying to find something that just wasn't quite as uncomfortable.  Finally I stretched across the two front seats but without a decent blanket I wrapped one around my feet and one around Noah, he was in a blanket sleeper and from the feel of his sweaty head, seemed quite comfortable.  As I was settling in, I hit the unlock button, which if done from the inside, sets off the car alarm.  Awesome.  I'm pretty sure at this point, everyone in the ward is wishing we'd stayed home.  Finally.  Light.  I saw people stirring and I had to go to the bathroom sooooo bad.  I'd been sleeping with a 25 bubba-dubber across my middle all night.  I drop Noah off at the tent, run to the bathroom and then take my freezing self back to the tent.  I got into a warm sleeping bag and was starting to thaw just a tiny bit...then the car alarm went off again.  Awesome.

I was a bit worried how we'd be received at breakfast but it turns out the symphony of crying babies and snoring kept everyone up and I wasn't the only one (but the worst) guilty of robbing the ward of their beauty sleep.

We slogged through breakfast, packing, and came home to enjoy a three hour nap!

It was crazy, but even through it all, I'd do it again.  I loved the bonding time with the ward, the primary kids, my friends and my little family.  These are the times we'll remember most.


Lucy just came up behind me and saw the photos and said, "Camping is awesome.  I love it.  We should go camping every weekend."

Mission accomplished.


Bethany said...

Ohhhhh Annnna! I have so much sympathy for you. It sounds like a camping trip from H-E- double hockey sticks. Justin and I moaned, groaned and laughed together as we read your post. You're a trooper!

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Yes, his cry is a little growly- I felt bad for him, and for you!! But, we all had our kids up here and there and I think overall it was a blast. My kids really enjoyed it, and so did I, though I'm still tired today, since I didn't get a recovery nap. I'm glad you did though!